Your loft is a valuable storage area within your home, allowing you to store items you don’t use every day. However, to make the best use of this space, it should be easily accessible. The best way to do this is by installing a fitted, folded ladder which is easy to use and can be safely stored away when not in use.
Many households may already have attic ladders, but depending on how long they have been used for, they may be due an upgrade.
Next time you use the ladders, you should consider the following:
- Does it feel and sound ‘rickety’ when you go up or down?
- Do you feel that your ladder is not secure when you are carrying heavy loads?
- Do you feel like you need a sturdier ladder?
If you answered yes to these questions, it may be time to consider upgrading your loft ladder to ensure you can get up to your attic safely and without any accidents.
Three Things To Consider When Buying Loft Ladders
Once you have decided to buy new loft ladders, there are a number of things you should consider including size, energy efficiency and cost.
1) The first thing you should do is measure your loft space to determine what ladder size is required. You can work out the height requirement by measuring from the landing floor to the top of your roof joints, and then up to the loft floor. You should also measure the dimensions of the loft hatch. There are lots of different ladder dimensions, so it is important to choose the right size to fit your loft.
2) Secondly, you should consider looking for a ladder that offers the best energy efficiency. While this may not be the first thing you might think of, it is an important factor to consider as it will reduce energy costs. According to the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI), up to 30% of all heat in a home is lost through the attic. Due to this, it is important that you look for a product with good insulation such as our Minka Polar Extreme Airtight Loft Ladders. These highly insulated ladders contribute to low energy consumption in your home and will ultimately protect the environment, conserve resources and protect your wallet.
3) Finally, cost is always an important factor when it comes to choosing a loft ladder. Even if you are on a tight budget you should always prioritise value for money over saving money. It’s not worth getting a cheap ladder if it doesn’t do what it needs to, or if it breaks and needs replaced within a short space on time. So, when you are choosing your ladder, be sure to pick one that meets your needs and offers good value for money.
Folding Loft Ladders
When choosing a loft ladder, most people tend to opt for a wooden folding style as they tend to feel more secure and robust than aluminium ladders, which can ‘bend’ or ‘flex’ when you stand on them and can be tucked away to save space. Additionally, wooden folding loft ladders are designed for regular and consistent use, making them the perfect choice for attics that are used as a non-habitable space such as a home office or playroom.
At Laydex, our range of Minka loft ladders are a fantastic choice for those considering purchasing new ladders for their home. Both styles offer fantastic insulation, ensuring pleasant room temperatures regardless of the weather as well as helping you reduce energy costs and save money. Both styles are also already assembled and ready to be built; making the installation as quick and hassle-free as possible!
Click here to see our full range of loft ladders to suit your needs. To find out more about our products, take a look at our website or get in touch with us today.